The LEGENDS theme we’ve been waiting for: The Fashion of Home, May 9 to 11!
This year at LEGENDS the keynotes and discussions will delve into dressing one’s home; tailoring interiors; the crossover between fashion and design; fashion trends in home furnishings, decor, and appliances; fashion designers who have inspired entire rooms and even homes; and the fashion in architecture.
Also this year, LCDQ is proud to announce our Living Legend Awardees – designers Ken Fulk and Alexa Hampton.
Mr. Fulk, whose sense of fashion is as jaw-dropping as his interiors, has provided a wealth of inspiration for legions of designers as a “designer of experiences” in his varied residential and hospitality projects. His far-reaching impact includes the Saint Joseph’s Arts Foundation, which he founded to support local artists at revitalized historic landmarks in San Francisco and Provincetown. Mr. Fulk’s Living Legend award also is a show of appreciation for his two past window designs for LEGENDS, one of which bears the same title as his book, “The Movie in My Mind.”
Ms. Hampton, who carries on and advances an important design legacy established by her father, the celebrated Mark Hampton, is an industry force, a gracious yet fierce supporter of the design profession shining a light on the work of other talented designers with her series of interviews, “52 Weeks of Design” and serving as a trustee for the New York School of Interior Design. Her award also is a show of appreciation for her participation in LEGENDS past and her collaboration with LCDQ businesses that propagate compelling new design based on classical traditions.
Ms. Hampton and Mr. Fulk will receive the Living Legend award at the LEGENDS 2023 Opening Celebration on May 9 at Catch Steak.
Mr. Fulk will present “The Movie in My Mind,” a fascinating illustrated journey through his extravagant design endeavors – and also the title of his new book, at the Rug Company on Wednesday, May 10. Mr. Fulk’s presentation will be followed by a book signing.
Other Keynote and discussion highlights at LEGENDS 2023: The Fashion of Home include:
- The Ever-Evolving Intersection Between Fashion and Interior Design – California Home+Design’s Editorial Director Lindsey Shook in conversation with renowned fashion and interior designer Erin Fetherston that will focus on the process, challenges and successes of collaborating with major brands.
- Interior Tailoring – experts’ view on the key pieces every home needs to dress the part for real life with Paul Wiseman, Michael Cox and Madeline Stuart.
- From Fashion to Design Passion – an insiders’ talk on the seamless connection between fashion and interior design, with House Beautiful‘s Robert Rufino and more guest speakers to be announced.
- Creating a Livable Work of Art – renowned estate architect Richard Landry’s presentation of a contemporary reinterpretation of a classical French chateau with Philip Nimmo. Wednesday, May 10, at 1:30 pm, at Renaissance Design, with California Home Editor in Chief Susan McFadden.
- Whisky Watercolor Club Reunion – A group of 5 esteemed architects who have been getting together on Zoom during and since the pandemic will make a live appearance a LEGENDS! Thomas Kligerman, Michael Imber, Doug Wright and Steve Rugo (Ankie Barnes is unable to attend) will share how painting has served their psyche and their work. Paintings from each architect will be offered for sale, with proceeds going to charity, and a book signing for “Shingle and Stone: Thomas Kligerman Houses” will follow the discussion.
- Uncommon Kitchens – a look at imaginative and fashion-forward kitchens around the world in a talk moderated by Sophie Donelson.
- Art Enhancing Design – an insider talk with Gagosian Gallery Director Harmony Murphy and Source Art Founder MaryLinda Moss at Michael-Cleary on Thursday, May 11.
- Get Over It! – A talk on how collaboration can save a business with The Design Trust and Circaphiles.
In addition to 8 keynotes and several discussions planned by the various showrooms in the LCDQ, get ready for:
Golden Hour Social with AAPI Design Alliance on Wednesday, May 10, in Collective Form’s charming LCDQ courtyard celebrates the makers, creatives and AAPI design community with Asian-inspired small bites and crafted cocktails.
- “Roses and Rosé” – an enjoyable afternoon learning how to build your own bouquet with a leading L.A. florist at Gracie. The gift bag will be a joy for any Gracie-Weezie fan!
- A fashion pop-up with a special selection of garments, complements and jewelry by Atacama Home’s artisans and a brand new jewelry collection.
Eric Hughes’ recreation of his client Sarah Jessica Parker’s dressing room in the charming window of Mecox. It promises to be the star of the event.
- Parachute’s Chief Creative Officer, Amy Hoban and interior stylist Scott Horne will show how to best style a bedroom followed by a reception.
- The rollicking “Design Dating Game” is back at Alt for Living, followed by mariachis and a taco truck.
- Mecox’s outstanding “Class of 2023” Author Group:
- Gray Malin, Oceans, Italy, Escapes
- Suzanne Kasler, Edited Style and Extraordinary Interiors
- Michael Cox, The Language of Home
- Joseph Marini, Mastering the Art of Entertaining
- Barbara Sallick, The Ultimate Bath
- Window designs by selected designers from throughout the country, including Alexa Hampton, Jake Arnold for The Expert, Paloma Contreras, David Frazier, Amy Meier, Breegan Jane, Noz Nozawa, and Studio Heimat. The design of the shop and showroom windows in the LCDQ on the theme of LEGENDS is one of the focal points of the 3-day design festival.
Bookending the LEGENDS keynotes, cocktails, lunches, book signings and experiential offerings is Hollywood at Home’s Welcome Breakfast on the first day of programming (Wednesday, May 10), and an invitation-only excursion to Una Casa Privada, Una Malan’s private showplace in the sky (Thursday, May 11).
Registration opens soon and keynote programming will be rolled out the week of March 27.
Click here for Hotels offering special rates for LCDQ LEGENDS 2023.
Please check this page and LCDQ’s social media for further updates.
GENERAL REGISTRATION – $150
Access to select keynote panels, discussions, open houses, experiential events, special appearances by authors, select cocktail parties and most general programming on May 10 and 11.
VIP REGISTRATION – $495 early, after April 28, $595
Full access begins with the OPENING CELEBRATION on May 9. On May 10 and 11, access to invitation-only Ken Fulk “Movie in My Mind” presentation, Roses and Rosé with Weezie at Gracie, the invitation-only excursion to Una Casa Privada and a handful of other exclusive events in addition to keynote panels, discussions, open houses, experiential events, and special appearances by authors.
More About LEGENDS
The most sought-after event on the national design calendar, LEGENDS is an annual design festival in its 13th year that brings thousands of influencers, enthusiasts, editors, and purveyors of design from across the U.S. and from around the world to the La Cienega Design Quarter for three days of keynotes, open houses, discussions, book signings, exhibitions, personal appearances, social events and networking.
The hallmark of LEGENDS is the transformation of the windows of the 45 LCDQ shops and showrooms on the theme of the event, The Fashion of Home.
The La Cienega Design Quarter became known in the 1950s, when many interior designers lived upstairs from their design studios in the fashionable apartments lining La Cienega Boulevard. In those days, the likes of William Haines, Elsie de Wolfe, Frances Elkins, Tony Duquette and Michael Taylor trawled the boulevard looking for unique finds. Some of those buildings remain, uniquely preserved and often inhabited by antique shops and design showrooms, and The Quarter continues to draw the designer who is looking for the rare and unusual. The LCDQ covers one square mile around the intersection of La Cienega Boulevard, Melrose Place and Melrose Avenue, including a cluster of design showrooms from San Vicente to almost Robertson Boulevard.
For further updates check this page, or follow us on social media:
Instagram / Facebook / Twitter / Vimeo